Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Crafty Ideas...

I recently saw a wreath on Etsy that I absolutely fell in love with.  It was a wreath wrapped in yarn and felt flowers.  It was simple, but I loved the look of it.  I saw it and I immediately thought, "I could make that!"  I knew I had plenty of yarn to use.  So, I picked up a straw wreath and some scraps of felt from my local crafts store and attempted my hand at making a "Yarn Wreath."  This is what I came up with!





I made it in Red, White, and Blue for Jimmy's home coming.  I figure I'll also be able to use it for all the patriotic holidays.  I wrapped white yarn all the way around the wreath then wrapped red yard around.  Made some felt "roses" out of blue felt (I used two different colors) and hot glued them on.  I think it tuned out pretty good for my first try.  There are a few other color combinations I want to try.  We will have to see how they turn out!

Here are a few things I learned while making this wreath:

1.  It takes a lot more time to wrap yarn around a wreath than you originally thought.  A LOT!

2.  Hot glue from a glue gun burns like h-e-double hockey sticks when it gets on your skin.  My fingers still have not forgiven me.

3.  Your son will promptly try and eat any and all felt flowers you accidentally drop on the floor.  So, make extra.

4.  You can spend $6.00 on supplies and apparently turn around and sell the finished product on Etsy for $30.00.  (I'm so glad I tried and made my own!) 



On a different note.  I have to give a big shout out to my sister Katie.  Thanks to her I have a brand new addiction...Pinterest.  It is such a simple, but brilliant idea for a website!  It's a site where you can "pin" photos of ANYTHING (food recipes, travel sites, craft projects, home ideas, hair ideas, etc...).  You literally can spend hours just looking through different photos and coming up with different ideas!  LOVE IT!

I found a picture of this and want to get it.  What a wonderful quote! 

Someone said, "Every parent should get this and hang it in their bedroom so it is the first thing they see in the morning.  We should stop forcing our Fish to climb trees.  Instead, encourage them to be amazing swimmers."

So true! 


 

No comments: