Tuesday, February 26, 2013

First Day of School

Many of you know that Evan is currently in Speech Therapy.  He "says" many words but when it comes to actually communicating with others he has a bit of a delay.  He is seen by a Speech Therapist once a week here at the house and she has already done great things with him and given Jimmy and I amazing tips to help us help Evan.

Once we saw the little improvements being made with therapy, Jimmy and I decided to go ahead and enroll Evan in a one day a week "Mother's Day Out" program.  We researched, researched, and researched various one day and two day programs in our area.  We ultimately decided a one day a week program was probably best for Evan and after visiting the school, we fell in love with the staff and curriculum at Prince of Peace Catholic Church Mother's Day Out Program.  Our hope was that Evan would meet some great friends, learn valuable social interaction skills, and improve his communication skills.  It has turned out to be the most amazing decision we've ever made!  My only regret is that we didn't enroll him sooner!  He absolutely loves "going to school."  Some days he cries when I drop him off (just like any normal two year old) but overall he is really enjoying it and his teacher, Ms. Kathy, says that he is doing great and fitting into the class just perfectly!  Jimmy and I love Wednesdays because we can't wait to hear about how he's done at school or what project they made or what new song they learned.  It is such a wonderful sense of pride and happiness to hear that your son had a great day at school.

Just like any proud parents, we took some pictures of his first day of school!



Now, the only thing I have to "get used too" is having my Wednesdays open to do whatever I want!  Most of the time I take the chance to go food shopping and get other various errands done.  I forgot how easy it is  to do that stuff without having to entertain a 2 year old at the same time!  And, I won't lie, now that the third trimester fatigue has taken over full force, I definitely take advantage of the occasional, uninterrupted afternoon cat nap!  I also know that this alone time won't be lasting much longer with the baby due any day now, so I'll enjoy it while I can!  


No comments: