Friday, January 21, 2011

A Sweet Boy and His Hat

Two of my favorite things in the world are my newborn baby son Evan and my hobby of crocheting.  Nothing makes me happier then to see Evan's reaction and smile when I get him from his crib first thing in the morning, listening as he giggles in response to Jimmy's laughter, or having him fall asleep in my arms.  And, on the flip side, nothing makes me feel more accomplished then finishing up a crochet project I've been working on, whether it's been hours or days!  It is so satisfying to start with a ball of yarn and slowly watch it become something beatiful and functional.  My latest project merged both of those loves.  I made a simple hat for my sweet little boy Evan.  And, I am happy to say, he LOVES it!  At least he better :)

For my Interested Crochet Peeps:  I started with a chain of 5 and joined into a ring with a slip stitched.  Completed 8 hdc in ring and then worked out in increasing rows until I reached my desired diameter.  (I made mine a little larger then Evan's head because I know nothing irritates him more then a tight hat on his head)  Once that was reached, then just work 1 hdc in each previous hdc until you reach your desired length.  (I worked until it covered the top part of Evan's ears).  Finally, just fasten off and work in the ends!  You can either work the stitches in a spiral or in a concenric ring...which ever you prefer.  I went with the concentric ring method because I wanted the edge to be even all the way around.  I used two colors, but you can get as creative as you want with the color scheme.  Super simple and easy!   

Once I finished the hat, I had Evan model it for me.  Boy, was he "hamming" it up for the camera!  He is definitely not camera shy.  But, then again, he could just be used to it because of the hundreds of pictures I've already taken of him  :) 







2 comments:

Katie said...

I miss this little guy SOOOO much!

Jenny said...

And he misses his Aunt Katie so much!