Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Evan's Room

A lot of friends and family members have been asking me what Evan's room looks like.  And, since most of the stuff in his room are gifts from loved ones, I figured you might like to see everything put together.  So, this is the subject of my latest post!  As many of you know, Jimmy and I had no idea Evan was going to be a boy until the moment he was born.  We decided not to find out the sex and it was an awesome surprise to hear "It's a BOY!" right after his birth.  (and to tell the truth, I think not knowing was amazing motivation in the end, when I was exhausted and almost ready to give up after 27 hours of labor)  As a result, the room was "unisex" before his birth, with light green paint on the walls and green bedding.  Not an ounce of blue or pink to be seen! 

Before:

After:

We started out not having an actual "theme" but as time went along, all of a sudden we wound up with a "geeky baby" nursery.  For those of you who know my husband, this shouldn't come as much of a surprise! 

There are "Geeky Baby Flashcards" hanging on the wall - both for the alphabet and numbers.


A closer view of the cards.  They are not your typical A is for apple and B is for bear.  Instead, A is for Atom and B is for Binary Code.  And, yes, there is a Pi flashcard in between 3 and 4 in the number set.   
Also hanging on the wall is a print of Newton's Three Laws of Motion:


And for Christmas Santa brought Evan a set of Periodic Table building blocks from http://www.thinkgeek.com/


Obviously, Evan has no idea what any of this stuff means!  But, he does seem to be captivated by all the colors and Jimmy sure does enjoy teaching Evan what everything means :) 

The rest of the nursery is filled with wonderful gifts from amazing friends and family.  The crib, changing table, and toy chest are all from Ikea.  We purchased the blue bookcase after Evan was born from Target.  I absolutely love Evan's room and even more important, Evan seems to enjoy it too - at least from what I can tell!  Jimmy spent a lot of time and energy assembling all the furniture and hanging the lights and pictures on the wall.  Not an easy feat, especially with a very pregnant wife in the background saying stuff like, "Do you really think that should go there?" and "Call me crazy, but I don't think that is level."

It is a bright, fun, and interesting room that Evan will hopefully grow to love and enjoy - at least for the time we are still here in Texas :)

Here are some pictures of everything finished:




3 comments:

Katie said...

Awww...I love his teeny-tiny foot print!

Jessica said...

Love the Geek nursery!!!

Jenny said...

Katie - I know, isn't it super cute! But, let me tell you, it took at least 10 times to get a good one. It is so hard to press a 2 months old's hand and foot into ink and then not have them get ink EVERYWHERE! But, on the up side - they did turn out really cute :)

Jessica - Thanks! It really is so much fun!