Wednesday, March 23, 2011

I Will Hold Him Closer at Night and Take More Pictures...


Jimmy came home with this yesterday.  It is his deployment bag - filled with uniforms, boots, and various other supplies. 

Yes, I know he is deploying.  I've known this for a while.  I should have been prepared for this, right? 

We've been going down the required "Check List."  Squaring away finances, updating wills, getting a Power of Attorney.  All the required busy work has been done or is in the process of being completed.  I am as prepared as I can be. 

Or, at least I thought I was. 

Then he walked through the door carrying this camoflagued duffle bag.  And, all the "preparedness" walked right out behind him.  I will admit it - I had a little breakdown.  It wasn't a full blown, ugly-cry, breakdown.  Just the silent, kept-to-myself, kind.  How can I prepare enough for my husband, the father of my son, to be gone for six months?

Yes, I know this is what I "signed up for" when I married him.  I know it could be "a lot" worse.  I know that he could be leaving for a year instead of six months.  I know that he is not the first or last soldier to deploy somewhere.  I am aware of all this.  But, I have to say, knowing all that stuff does not make it easier. 

What does make it easier is the fact that I love Jimmy more than life itself and I am so proud of him and the work that he does.  He is an amazing husband, loving father, and devoted soldier.  And, even though he has not left yet, I already cannot wait to celebrate his return! 

So, as we make our final preperations and count down the next few weeks, I will hold him closer at night, take more pictures of him and Evan together, and enjoy our time together a little more.  To me, that sounds like the best preparing we can do.   

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I love this post, Jenny. You had me crying right along with you. I can't even imagine how hard and scary this all is right now, but I want you to know we're here for you. And I don't mean that in the requisite "if you need anything just call" way. I mean that in the "you'll eat with us, spend all the time with us that you want, James will mow your lawn" kind of way! ;) Love you guys!

Jenny said...

Thanks Lauren! It means a lot to me to know that we have such awesome friends here in San Antonio :) It's amazing how, as a military family, we just know what to say to one another to make everything seem better!
Love you guys too!!